Justin Rogers, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- GC 305
I have been preaching for eleven years, and am currently the minister at the Christian Chapel Church of Christ in Wildersville, TN. I am in my third year of teaching at Freed-Hardeman.
- B.A., Biblical Studies, Freed-Hardeman University
- M.A., New Testament, Freed-Hardeman University
- M.Phil., Hebraic and Cognate Studies, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
- Ph.D., Hebraic and Cognate Studies, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
- Monday - 9:00am - 10:30am
- Tuesday - 9:00am - 10:30am
- Wednesday - 9:00am - 10:30am; 2:30pm - 3:30pm
- Thursday - 9:00am - 10:30am
- Friday - 9:00am - 10:30am
- Greek IV: Advanced Greek Grammar
MWF - 9:30am-10:20am
MWF - 11:30am-12:20pm
- Survey of the Old Testament
MWF - 1:30pm-2:30pm
- New Testament World
M - 6:00pm-9:00pm
I am in my third year of teaching at Freed-Hardeman University. My academic work is focused primarily on ancient biblical scholarship. In particular, my current interests lie in how early Christian authors utilized Philo of Alexandria in their interpretation of Genesis. My teaching at Freed-Hardeman centers around the Old Testament and the languages of the Bible.
Doctor of Philosophy in Hebraic and Cognate Studies, 2012, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Master of Philosophy in Hebraic and Cognate Studies, 2010, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Master of Arts in New Testament, 2006, Freed-Hardeman University
Bachelors of Arts in Biblical Studies with Emphasis in New Testament Greek, 2003, Freed-Hardeman University
Teaching ExperienceTeaching Assistant, Freed-Hardeman University, January 2009, Survey of Intertestamental Jewish Literature
Instructor in Bible, Freed-Hardeman University, 2010-2011
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies, Freed-Hardeman University, 2012-present
Other ExperiencePREACHING EXPERIENCE
I am currently the ministry for the Christian Chapel Church of Christ in Wildersville, TN.
I worked as summer intern at the Briensburg Church of Christ in Benton, Ky for three summers, from 2001-2003
I worked as pulpit minister at the Pleasant Valley Church of Christ in Murray, Ky during the Fall of 2002
I worked as youth minister for the Decaturville Church of Christ in Decatureville, Tn during the Fall of 2003
I worked as pulpit minister at the Macedonia Church of Christ in Mayfield, Ky from December of 2003-August of 2006
I worked as youth minister at the Loveland Heights Church of Christ in Loveland, Oh from August of 2006-July of 2010
A. Chapters in Published Books
- “Honoring all of God’s Word.” We Will Serve the Lord: Conquest and Deliverance in Joshua and Ruth. FHU Lectures, 2013. Pp. 277-80.
- “El Gran Dragon Rojo y la Mujer con el Niño/The Great Red Dragon and the Woman With a Child.” El Libro de Apocalipsis: Las Cosas que Deben Suceder Pronto/The Book of Revelation: The Things which must Shortly Come to Pass. Ed. And Trans. Raphael A. Barrantes. Jackson, Tn, 2012. Pp. 79-82.
- “Los Siete Angels con las Siete Plagas/The Seven Angels with the Seven Plagues.” in ibid. Pp. 99-103.
- “Old Testament Echoes in 2 Peter and Jude.” The Behavior of Belief: Faith and Life in James to Jude. FHU Lectures, 2012. Pp. 347-51.
- “The Relationship Between 2 Peter and Jude.” The Behavior of Belief: Faith and Life in James to Jude. FHU Lectures, 2012. Pp. 452-56.
- “The Minor Prophets: The Messengers.” Major Themes from the Minor Prophets. FHU Lectures, 2011. Pp. 479-83.
- “Paul’s Natural Man.” Perfecting God’s People: Christ and Culture in 1 Corinthians. FHU Lectures, 2010. Pp. 204-208.
- “The Psalms and New Testament Worship.” Crying Out to God: Prayer and Praise in the Psalms. FHU Lectures 2009. Pp. 236-41
- “Is Breaking Bread Always the Lord’s Supper?” Behold the Lamb: John’s Gospel of Belief. FHU Lectures 2008. Pp. 419-28.
- “How Can God Be Jealous?” Hear O Israel: Preserving a Godly Heritage in Deuteronomy. FHU Lectures 2007. Pp. 233-38.
- “Looking Up to a Child: 1 Timothy 4:12.” Sweet Child of Mine. FHU Student Lectureship 2003. Pp. 21-25
B. Journal Articles
- “Baptism and Church Membership.” Gospel Advocate (January) 2013
- “Jesus is Our Lord and Savior.” Gospel Advocate (December) 2012
- “Getting the Bible into Teen Bible Classes.” Gospel Advocate (July) 2012
- “Communication for the Current Generation.” Gospel Advocate (June) 2012
- “Remembering the Old, Revealing the New.” Gospel Advocate (April) 2012
- “An Educated Brotherhood.” Gospel Advocate (February) 2012
- “A City on a Hill.” Gospel Advocate (January) 2012
- “Ancient Truths for Today’s Church.” Gospel Advocate (October) 2011
- “The Nature of Kingdom as Apocalyptic in Daniel.” Kingdom 1.2 (2011): 19-22.
- “Principles of Sound Study.” Gospel Advocate (June) 2011
- “Worship that Pleases God.” Gospel Advocate (February) 2011
- “Spiritual but Not Religious.” Gospel Advocate (May) 2010
- Review of The Ancient Synagogue from its Origins to 200C.E: A Source Book. Ed. Anders Runesson, Donald D. Binder and Birger Olsson. Leiden: Brill, 2008. Pp. 131-33 in The Studia Philonica Annual XXI (2009)
- “The Bible: The Centerpiece of Bible School.” Gospel Advocate (September) 2009
- “The ‘Teaching’ of Scripture.” Gospel Advocate (June) 2009
- “Responsible Word Studies.” Gospel Advocate (May) 2009
- “Do the Gospels Matter?” Gospel Advocate (April) 2008
- “Faith and Scholarship.” Gospel Advocate (January) 2008
- “Will Biblical Scholarship Destroy Your Faith?” Gospel Advocate (June) 2007
- “Internet Predators and Your Children.” Gospel Advocate (June) 2007
- “What is the Septuagint?” Gospel Advocate (May) 2007
- “The Power of Public Scripture Reading.” Gospel Advocate (February) 2007
- “What Does it Mean to Be in Christ.” Gospel Advocate (October) 2006
- “Managing Congregational Conflict.” Gospel Advocate (September) 2006
- “What Are the Gnostic Gospels?” Gospel Advocate (July) 2006
- “The Medicine of Immortality.” Gospel Advocate (April) 2006
- “Gospel in the Greek Isaiah.” Gospel Advocate (August) 2005
- (with Clyde Woods) Leviticus and Numbers. College Press NIV Commentary. 2006
- Ezekiel and Daniel. People’s Old Testament Notes. Forthcoming
- Genesis. Truth for Today Commentaries. Forthcoming